Currently reading: Braiding Sweetgrass, by Robin Wall Kimmerer
One of the things that I’m really lucky to have access to in my bookish life is Book Riot Insiders, a community which gives me access to some great resources. One of those is a channel of rad book bloggers, who have offered me some great support in getting started out. I am charmed to have been invited to host the year-end tag post for #BookishBloggersUnite, and the theme that was chosen was a 2018 wrap up!
For the past several years, I have made it my goal to read 50 books. In 2017, I made it to 41. The last book that I read that year was for a queer book club that I was part of at the time, and it also wound up being the most read book in the Toronto Public Library system that year – a pretty impressive feat, given that TPL is the largest library system in all of North America. The book was Do Not Say We Have Nothing, by Margaret Thien. I closed out my reading year crying my eyes out over its final pages.
In 2018, I finally surpassed my goal of 50 books. I hope to review and write about many of them in the upcoming year. However, since this is a new project, I thought it might be interesting to offer some information about what I read. For me, 2018 is particularly poignant, because I took a lot of time off of school this year for personal reasons, and had more downtime to play with. I feel like the books I chose this year were really my choices, and say a lot about me as a reader, and probably as a bookseller, as well.
- Total number of books read (as of December 11th, not including children’s books): 57
- First book read: I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter
- Last book read: Women Talking
- Average length: 277 pages
- Books by people of colour (based on information available to me): 27
- Books with authors who aren’t cis men: 49
- LGBTQ books and/or books with LGBTQ content: 34
- CanLit: 10
- Middle grade or YA: 25
- Graphic: 10
- Anthology: 2
- Non-fiction: 15
- Memoir: 7
- Fiction: 40
- Poetry: 1
- Speculative/SFF: 21
- Books I read in one sitting: 12
- DNF: 7
- Currently reading (unfinished in 2018): 4
- Referral sources: Another Story Bookshop, Book Riot podcasts, recommendations from @genderqueerwolf, recommendations from the FOLD
- Favourite books of the year: Freshwater, Our Homesick Songs, Hurricane Child
- Favourite audiobook of the year: the Fact of a Body
- Favourite picture books released this year (not otherwise included in stats above): All The Animals Where I Live, Pretty Kitty, We Don’t Eat Our Classmates, Pearl, Love, Z
PS, if you choose to purchase one of the books I’ve mentioned in this post, please follow one of the links. It’s an affiliate link for Amazon.com, so you will be helping to support my work. If you are in Canada, please use this Amazon Canada Affiliate link. You can also always leave a tip for me through ko-fi!